Are you a university or sixth form feminist society? If so, please consider fundraising for Rape Crisis in honour of My Body Back through our collaborative Notes of Love campaign!
What is Notes of Love?
Since 2015, MBB has gathered thousands of supportive and loving messages—Notes of Love— from the public, all written to survivors of sexual violence.
All these wonderful messages of empathy, compassion and kindness are displayed at our clinics, workshops and specialist women’s services across the UK.
When survivors enter the centres, they see our Notes of Love. When they leave, they are invited to choose a note and take it with them, for whenever they feel the need for support. However vulnerable or alone they may feel, we want survivors to have a visual reminder that there are other women sending solidarity, understanding and love their way.
What can you do?
If you’re a university or sixth form feminist society or women’s group, please consider hosting a Notes of Love event to fundraise for sexual violence support services.
Your society will invite peers and fellow students to write a Note of Love and donate to Rape Crisis’ efforts to support survivors of sexual assault. Your powerful messages of empathy, strength and kindness will be sent to women accessing MBB’s clinics and Rape Crisis Centres across the UK. 100% of your donations will help empower women who have experienced sexual violence, supporting them to connect with their bodies, health and sexuality after assault.
How will your society benefit?
By joining Notes of Love, your society will be contributing to a national campaign supporting survivors of sexual assault across the UK.
In return for your kind messages and incredibly helpful donations, MBB can offer your society a token of our appreciation. MBB will give your society social media shout-outs on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram to highlight your hard work and dedication to the cause.
How to do it
Ready to host a Notes of Love event? Here are some tips and tricks for hosting a Notes of Love event and fundraising for MBB.
- Set a goal: what is your target fundraising goal? If you get close to reaching it, you can increase it! (If people think you are close to meeting your target they may not donate the £20 they were going to, if you are only £10 off your goal).
- For the event, you’ll need a venue. Book a space in your university that is visible—somewhere that students will wander by and be able to stop. Maybe if it’s nice weather, you can set up a table in a main section of campus. If it’s a cooler day, set up shop in the student union, or even a pub if it’s an evening event!
- Next, you’ll need materials. Notes of Love doesn’t require much—you’ll need some colourful paper (some people like to cut these into heart shapes), markers, pens, or anything you’d enjoy colouring or writing with. See our Instagram for inspiration of sayings, phrases, or quotes to go onto your notes.
- Have a visually appealing box or bucket to collect donations in, and another to collect all the notes in.
- Make it fun! Play uplifting music, bring sweets or tea—anything you think will attract your fellow students to come write a note and donate to the cause.
- Take pictures for social media: we will re-tweet and re-post your images on our Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram accounts to thank your society for your help in supporting MBB.
- Feel free to contact alumni, family and friends outside of your university to support or donate to your event. Ask alumni if they will provide a match-giving-scheme, where if you raise £10, they’ll match you another £10 (just an example).
- Don’t forget to thank your donors! Let them know their donation has been noticed and appreciated.
How to get involved
Join our growing list of partner universities and bring the Notes of Love campaign to your university or sixth form. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in throwing a Notes of Love party.
Tweet your own Note of Love to @mybodybackproj using the hash tag #NotesofLove. You can also email your message to email@example.com and we’ll write it out for you and add it to our collection.
Follow us on Instagram and share the campaign’s posts with your friends and followers.
Collect your own Notes of Love at your next event, meeting or gathering.
Email Carolyn at firstname.lastname@example.org with your ideas on how you’d like to take part and for more details on how to get involved.
Other creative campaign ideas
MBB encourages all kinds of fundraising efforts. If Notes of Love isn’t for you, try a different event.
How about a bake sale? We’ve had societies and sports teams in the past create and sell body-positivity calendars to fundraise for us. Anything that you feel passionate about, we will support!
Any questions? Email Carolyn at email@example.com with any queries, comments, or ideas for Notes of Love.
Here’s a list of the universities involved in the campaign so far. We’d like to say a huge thank you to each and every one of them.
OUSU Women’s Campaign
Emmanuel College Feminist Society
Warwick University Anti-Sexism Society
Exeter Feminist Society
York University Student Union (YUSU) Women’s Committee
University of Durham
University College Feminists Durham
University of Manchester
Manchester Women’s Campaign
University of Loughborough
Loughborough Women’s Network
Newcastle Feminist Society
Liverpool John Moores University
LiverpoolSU Feminist Society
University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool Feminist Society
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmith Feminist Society
St George’s, University of London
St George’s Gender Equality Society
Royal Holloway, University of London
Royal Holloway Feminist Society
University of Lancaster
Lancaster Feminist Society
Leeds Beckett University
Leeds Beckett Feminist Society
University of East Anglia
UEA Feminist Discussion Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester Feminist Society
University of Essex
University of Essex Feminist Society
Southampton University Feminist Society
Nottingham Trent University
School of Social Sciences